Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Popsicles?

Is that even how you spell Popsicles? Anyway, the kids are already asking for them, which, with the weather lately, isn't that surprising. I've been freezing the leftovers when we make smoothies (I have tupperware Popsicle molds) and they've been a big hit. I especially love that they contain fruit, pro-biotic (in the yogurt), and veggies (carrots, sweet potatoes, zucchini, cauliflower and white bean purees - but not too much - about 2 tablespoons of each), plus protein and fiber to prevent blood sugar spikes and no added sugar.

A few years ago, I checked out this cookbook from our library (I've since forgotten what its called) which had a recipe for slow cooker caramelized onions. Until then it had never crossed my mind that you could make these in a crock pot! It works so nicely - the onions come out perfect. Here's how you do it - thinly slice about 2 lbs of white or yellow onions and put them and1 stick of butter into the crock pot on high for about 6 hours. That's it! You can use less butter if you'd like, but they may not brown as much. The reason I mention these onions is because there are some going in the slow cooker right now. We're having french onion soup tonight with these sandwiches. We skip the mayo and use whole wheat bread when we make them and they are huge hit over here.

No comments: