Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Why Chickens are Amazing - Today's harvest


When I planted my 8X8 ft garden on my Dad's farm, I put in 3 cucumber plants.  When I checked on the garden a few days later, two of my cucumber plants were gone - eaten by something, I assume.  The one remaining plant grew to an insane size and has been flooding us with cucumbes over the last three weeks.  So far, since Sunday (two days ago), we have picked 26 fully grown cucumbers and there are many, many more that are small that we will harvest later this week or early next.  We ended up giving away about 11, feeding three huge ones to the chickens and the rest are pictured above with one of the personal sized watermelons from my garden.  Not pictured, approximately 14 cucumbers, 3 watermelons (we gave some away) and some peppers (we gave them away, too).  The three tomato plants are dripping with green tomatoes, the peppers plants have many, many peppers (we harvested about 5 lbs last week) and next time I am there, I plan to harvest large amounts of basil and parsley - yum!!

The only thing I can attibute the large harvest to is the fact that the chickens spent some time preparing the garden plot for us a few months back.  I think their fertilizer must be some awesome stuff because this garden is more productive than we can use (that's for the five of us and my parents)  Just imagine if the other two cucumber plants had survived.  Since I hope to expand the garden next year to have more to offer at the farmer's market, I'm really grateful for our hens and their eggs and fertilizer. 

No comments: