Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Laptop Lunch - Bento Style Lunch Box

I seem to be reviewing lots of products lately. Today's post is about these great lunch boxes called Laptop Lunches. We've been eying these for years and finally, a few weeks ago, I broke down and ordered. Wow! These things are wonderful. The goal of the organization, which was started and is run by some concerned moms, is to reduce the waste caused by all of the "throw away" containers used for kids school lunches. That is a goal worth supporting, in my opinion.

Even better than the goal, though, in my opinion is the boxes themselves. they are colorful, compact, well designed and fun. My husband takes lunch to work every day. Before our laptop lunches bento box, we used 5-6 sandwich sized disposable zip top bags per day, or one box of 100 per month. Here's what his lunch looks like now (this is the one we packed for today):

He's having a grilled chicken sandwich and a spring mix salad with carrots and feta cheese. That little container in the salad is a small container of dressing. He's also having strawberries and blueberries and the trail mix is for a mid afternoon snack. Not pictured is the drink container that we filled with orange juice and put in the freezer to help keep the lunch cool (we also got the insulated bag which eliminates the need for refrigeration). The juice will thaw by lunch time and be ready to drink. There is absolutely no waste in this box, nothing to throw away. I love this!

While the boys and I don't work or go to school every day, I did get boxes for us, too. We travel at least once a week during the lunch hour and these are so nice for packing a lunch that we can either picnic at the park or that the guys can eat while I drive. And I love that they eliminate the temptation to run through the drive thru or buy "lunchables" type products, eliminating both expenses and waste.

3 comments:

mylittlepatchofsunshine said...

I've looked at these for years, too! Does the lack of lids cause problems? I just worry that everything would get mixed / smooshed . . . or something. I never quite understood the lack of lids? thanks!

The Book Lady Online said...

One of the compartments has a lid. That one can be used for liquids like soup or yogurt. The others don't have lids and we have not yet had a problem with anything getting mixed up. The containers basically fit right up to the lid of the box. I guess that's how it keeps things from mixing together. We've been very pleased so far.

mylittlepatchofsunshine said...

Great to know! Thanks :) I think these would be great for us - I hate buying plastic bags! (And what a perfect post for Earth Day!)