Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I have some empty space in my garden - what did you plant this year?

We have a square foot garden. I love it. We have 4 blocks that are 4X4, so we have 64 square feet of productive garden. So far this year, we have harvested 4 (of 6) heads of romaine lettuce (we lost the last 2 in bad weather last week), lots of baby greens (butter crunch, red bibb, green bibb, spinach), carrots, broccoli, green onions and several bunches of basil and parsley. We have planted 18 cucumber plants, 9 tomato plants (flowering-yay!), 4 pepper plants (flowering-yay!), green onions, 2 strawberries, (we get about 1 berry per day from them right now - we are putting in more beds for these next year) spinach, carrots, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, basil, parsley, baby greens and purple hull peas. With all of that in the garden, we still have some "open" squares - 16 to be exact. I'm thinking I'll put more peppers in and perhaps more herbs. I'm still looking for a few more things to fill up those last squares. I'd love you ideas. What do you have planted?

3 comments:

Debbie J said...

Wow, you've got me beat in the garden thing by miles! I can't think of anything else, except waiting to plant more of the same so that you have a harvest over a period of time instead of all at one time. Also you could plant some marigolds which repel pests, I'm told! Thanks for the visit to my blog. Love your name, same as my daughter. LOL.

The Book Lady Online said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I had forgotten about marigolds. Thanks for the reminder! That's just what I need to do. The empty spaces are in all 4 blocks and spaced apart - perfect for adding some pest control. Thanks for the great idea.

Lori

Stephanie said...

You've got a great selection! These are a few things I thought of from my garden that you didn't mention:
-onions (I did yellow sets)
-radishes
-turnips
-watermelon
-winter squash (I've got spaghetti, butternut and pumpkin)
-corn
You must live somewhere warm to have harvested so much at this point! The only thing we could have is we wanted to is some baby greens. In a couple weeks we'll have lettuce and radishes to begin with- I can't wait!

Stephanie @ Keeper of the Home