Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thrifty Thursday - Homemade Salad Dressing


With the summer heat blazing in some parts of the country, thoughts are turning towards dinners that don't require heating up the kitchen (well, at least that's happening at my house, here in the deep south). Salads are an easy and filling supper and keep the kitchen cool at the same time. Here is a link to a great website with a wonderful "tutorial" for making your own salad dressings. It took me a few months to actually get up the courage to try making my own, and I was pleasantly surprised at just how easy it is to do. I find that making small batches works well for us and I store them in a mason jar in the fridge so that we have a few choices at any given time. Yummy, easy and thrifty :o)

Tonight, we had left over chicken, shredded, over a bed of greens, topped with pitted cherries, sliced nectarines and walnuts. The dressing we used is called Sweet Sherry and Cherry Vinaigrette (found it in the CVS magazine we received about a week ago). Basically, you blend 1/4 lb pitted cherries, 1/4 cup sweet sherry vinegar, 1/4 tsp dijon mustard, 1 shallot in a blender then drizzle in one cup of EVOO. Salt and pepper to taste. I liked it alot, but I think the EVOO is a little strong and competes with the cherries too much. Next time I'm going to try it with light Olive Oil instead to see if the milder flavor works better for our taste.

Be sure to check out my bloggy giveaway - free kids books!

No comments: