Monday, July 7, 2008

Growing Salad Greens Indoors? Advice Needed

I am interested in growing salad greens indoors. After growing them this spring, I miss having fresh greens and would like to try growing them indoors. We live in the deep south so our greens bolted about 6 weeks ago. If I could figure out the indoor thing, we could have greens in the summer and winter from indoors and spring and fall from outdoors. I'd like to plant mesclun and spinach to use as baby greens.

I have a south facing window with a nice big ledge, so I was thinking of using a window box style planter and setting it in that window. My only concern is that it might get too warm there for them to grow properly. I also have a north facing window with a nice ledge. Which one would be best? Anyone with experience, I'd love your advice. Thanks in advance :o)

3 comments:

mylittlepatchofsunshine said...

I have no experience, but would love to read about your attempts to do this!

fids said...

I also want to attempt this and am searching for a good book. Solviva by Anna Edey is a great place to start - she even had 4 yr. old tomato plants with 30' vines indoors with just natural light! Good luck...

fids said...

I found a very cheap book from 1975 on both eBay & Amazon called Growing Herbs and Salad Greens Indoors. Another point that should prove helpful to you is really studying up on heat resistant, late-to-bolt varieties for your outdoor garden.