Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Kitchen TIp: Yummy Homemade Sandwich Bread



I found this great homemade sandwich bread recipe on New Life on a Homestead. I made it this morning and it was so unbelievably delicious, there is almost none left. I am hoping to transition away from store bought sandwich bread and I think this recipe will fit the bill. The original recipe was for a bread machine, which I do have, but I only use it for making the dough. I do not like the way the crust comes out in a bread maker, so I remove the dough and put it in a bread pan, let it rise again and then bake it in the oven. Here it is right after I took it out of the bread maker.


Here is the recipe along with my improvised baking instructions.

Homemade Bread Machine Wheat Bread

  • 1 1/3 cups warm water
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. white sugar
  • 3 tsp. yeast (or one packet)

In the bread machine combine water, oil, and salt. Add the flour on top of the liquids. Pour sugar into one corner of the machine. Make a finger dent in the center of the flour and pour the yeast into it.

Set the machine on the dough setting. When the dough cycle is finished, remove the dough and place into an oiled bread pan. Allow to rise again in a warm place while the oven heats up to 350 deg. Bake at 350 deg for approximately 40 minutes. Allow to cool for about a half an hour on a cooling rack before slicing.



This is what it looked like after we baked it. We ate slices of it with honey butter for breakfast. It is definitely soft enough for a sandwich bread. Now to figure out how to get uniform slices. Anyone have a tip?

Visit Tammy's Recipes for Kitchen Tip Tuesday.

2 comments:

Alea Milham said...

Your bread looks wonderful! I don't think it would last long at our house.

The Book Lady Online said...

It didn't last long here, either. If I can figure out how to get thin uniform slices, it will work out great as sandwich bread, provided I can keep it around long enough, lol.