Thursday, July 9, 2009

Yesterday, No. Today, Yes!!

Yesterday, I checked the fig tree and there were no figs ready, although they were starting to look like they might be full sized. Today, I happened to glance at them when walking past and saw that lots were ripe! Yay!


When I went inside to change from my jeans into my shorts and get a bowl, the boys got to work and by the time I was outside again, they were done collecting the ripe ones. Instead of cooking dinner, I cooked up the figs.
Four cups of figs made one pint and a little more. I canned the one pint and the "little more" will got into the fridge to be used up this week.


I just went out to inspect the trees again and found another 2 cups or so of ripe figs. I brought them in and will probably wait until tomorrow or day after tomorrow to see if we can get to 6 cups of figs before canning again. That way, I would probably get 2 full pints to can.

We use the preserved figs on toast, with biscuits, in yogurt (dh discovered this a few weeks ago and its so yummy), in fig cobbler and we are going to try fig pinwheels and fig sweet dough hand pies. What do you do with your fig preserves?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too much sugar for Redd & I, but oh, how I love fig preserves! My dad mixes it with peanut butter and uses that as a spread on waffles or pancakes. When my sister & I were little, we thought that's what "figgy pudding" was (you know, from We Wish You a Merry Christmas).

Alea Milham said...

Yum!

Isn't it amazing how fast fruit and veggies can mature?