Monday, July 13, 2009

Menu Plan Monday - 7-13-09


I've decided to try an experiment with our grocery shopping. Instead of a weekly grocery run I'm trying shopping for two weeks of groceries at a time with dh stopping on his way home from work for milk as we need it and the boys and I hitting the farmer's market twice a week for fresh produce. We used to shop this way and not only was it less stress because of fewer shopping trips, but we also spent less. So yesterday was the day of the big shopping trip. It went well and we spent just slightly more than we usually spend for one week. I'm interested to see how this pans out.

This morning, I am dehydrating tomatoes and figs. We like "sun dried" tomatoes in quick bread (tomato basil bread) and on pizza, so I thought it would be fun to make our own (in the oven) with locally grown tomatoes. And I've heard that dried figs are delicious, so we're giving that a try, too. It would be nice to have another way to preserve and snack on figs. I think I'll also try fig fruit leather. As a kid, one of my friends used to always have this every summer (her grandmother made it) and we enjoyed it. Maybe my kids will, too. We'll try it out and see. They surely enjoyed the blueberry leather we made last week - it barely lasted a day. We've also been preserving some of our farmer's market finds as pickles and also salsa. Ideally, we'd like to preserve a year's worth. It will be interesting to see if we can do it.

Our menu for this week (locally grown in bold):

Breakfast (with repeats):
Eggs
French Toast (eggs)
Yogurt with plum jam
Oatmeal with butter, cinnamon and a little brown sugar or honey

Lunch (one fruit and one veggie):
Leftovers
Turkey Sandwiches
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup

Snacks:
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Plums
Chips and Salsa
Hummus and Pita
Figs (my youngest and I both love them right off the tree)
Homemade bread (gonna try soaked bread) and honey butter
Yogurt with plum jam or with maple syrup
Popcorn (popped on the stove top in coconut oil with celtic sea salt and pastured butter - the smell of this cooking can always bring the kids into the kitchen, no matter what they are doing - so yummy!)
Carrots and cukes
Cookies (not sure what kind)
Quick bread (probably banana nut - again)
Strawberry/ blueberry smoothie
Cherries

Dinner (we will be dining out a few times this week)
Roasted Chicken, green salad, cantaloupe

Tuna Burgers, tomato and cuke salad, sauted squash

Chicken Noodle Soup (onions, squash), green salad

Pizza (caramelized onion, bacon and ham, or cheese and black olive), side salad

Grass-fed Beef burgers (caramelized onions, lettuce, tomato), broccoli

Leftovers



Head over to I'm an Organizing Junkie for Menu Plan Monday.

No comments: