Monday, August 10, 2009

Menu Plan Monday 8-10-09


Yesterday was the third time I do a two week shopping trip and I have to say that the more time passes, the more I love shopping for two weeks worth of groceries at a time. It seems crazy to me that just two little changes in our shopping habits could affect our budget so much, but between not shopping at Walmart any more and shopping for two weeks of groceries at a time, we have cut our grocery expenditures by over $30 per week. I think that part of the reason our expenses are coming down is that while Walmart is less expensive on some items, they are more expensive on other items (the one's we bought most often). Plus, I think that Walmart is designed to get you to spend more money (and I do not fault them for this - they are in business to make money), and when shopping with kids, it I have a hard time spending an entire hour saying "no" to everything, so I usually give in more than I do at Kroger.

We also hit our farmer's market at least once a week, though we try to go twice a week for fresh produce. Last week, we did an eat local challenge, trying to eat only locally grown/ raised foods. We did okay, though by the end of the week, we were eating non-local proteins. Still, we enjoyed the challenge very much and it pushed me to try harder to find local protein sources and get to know our local farmers better.

Here is this week's menu. All locally grown items are in bold.

Breakfast:

Oatmeal with pecans or walnuts and dried cranberries, blueberries or strawberries
Scrambled Eggs and fruit (pears, cantaloupe, watermelon)
Kefir Smoothie (blueberries)

Lunch:
Leftovers from Dinner
Chicken Salad Sandwiches with heirloom tomatoes and pickles
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and grapes and strawberries
Peanut butter and honey or jelly sandwiches with cucumbers

Snacks:
Kefir Smoothies (blueberries)
Watermelon
Strawberries
Cantaloupe
Pears or Pear Sauce
Applesauce Muffins made with pear sauce (substituting pear sauce for the apple sauce, whole milk for the skim and butter for the veggie oil).
Coconut, Macadamia Nut Cookies (sugar cookie recipe with coconut and macadamia nuts added)
Grapes
Chips and Salsa
Peaches
Blueberry fruit leather
Cheese cubes
Popcorn (popped in coconut oil on the stove top - this stuff is so delicious!)
Homemade Bread with honey butter

Dinner:
Baked Chicken with Rosemary Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli, and Purple "Green" Beans (found these and some heirloom tomatoes at the farmer's market on Saturday)

Italian Crockpot Black Eyed Pea Soup with a green salad (cucumbers and tomatoes)

Steak with purple hull peas, sauted squash and cantaloupe

Lasagna, green salad (cukes and tomatoes) and baked patty pan squash

The soup and the lasagna both make lots of leftovers, plus we will be eating out at least once this week, so I think I will only have to cook four nights this week :o) .

Visit I'm an Organizing Junkie and Menu Plan Monday.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

HI! I am stopping by from Org Junkie’s site! Your menu looks yummy. :-)

I totally agree about walmart! I hate to go there because it always costs me so much. :-) I stick with Food World and try to only get groceries when DH can watch the kids.

Kelli – 3 Boys & a Dog: homeschooling, recipes, reviews, giveaways, Fave Friday & more!
http://momof3boys3702.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I also try to avoid Wal-Mart! When I go in there it seems that the consumerism button is pushed...there is so much stuff to buy & I just want to look at everything! So it's best to avoid it!!

I've been trying to only go grocery shopping every two weeks or so...I had been going every Monday but I'm saving more this way too!!

Anonymous said...

I've noticed a difference this summer. We usually shop @ Super one and I'll spend under 100.00 for the week. If I go to Walmart, it seems that I spend well over 100-140! I think it's because I buy the washing powder, etc @ WM and just groceries @ Super one.

Alea Milham said...

Thanks for the link for the apple sauce muffins and for letting us know that it works well with pear sauce. I have both apple trees and pear trees and have a tendiency to run out of pear ideas, before I run out of pears.

P.S. Great job on your eating local challenge!