Monday, August 17, 2009

Menu Plan Monday August 17-23, 2009


My 40th birthday is this weekend and I am a food nerd, so I'm getting some kitchen stuff for myself for my birthday. I was blessed with gifts of cash from family and I'm going to add that together and add some more to it and get myself a nice wooden cutting board, a chef's knife, a cheap pasta roller and we need a new coffee maker - I'm debating whether to get one with an attachment to steam milk or just get a french press. Or we could just give up coffee altogether - hmmmm . . . . I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

We recieved a bag full of pears this weekend from my grandparents. Those are destined to become pear sauce today and will ultimately end up in "apple sauce" muffins. Local produce is even better when it is free :o) We are also getting a second batch of figs from the trees out back. What we don't eat fresh will probably end up as fig preserves.

I also was able to get my Nourishing Traditions book from the storage shed, where it has been for almost a year. I'm hoping to work some NT kitchen experimenting into my plan this week as well as trying my hand at making pasta. Here is the menu plan (as usual, all local items are in bold):

Breakfast with repeats (will include a fresh fruit or veggie):

Scrambled eggs and ham
Oatmeal with pastured butter, walnuts and honey
Blueberry French toast (eggs)
Homemade Greek Style Yogurt with fruit jam
Waffles with yogurt and fruit jam and ham or bacon

Lunches:

Baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese
Turkey Sandwiches with pesto, tomatoes and lettuce
Peanut Butter and Honey sandwiches
Leftovers

Snacks:
Pears
Pear Sauce
Pear Sauce Muffins
Figs
Fig Pinwheel Cookies
Cheese Cubes (Fontina)
Hummus and chips or veggie sticks
Chips and salsa
Yogurt and fruit jam
Homemade bread and honey butter
Popcorn (made on the stove top with coconut oil, butter and celtic sea salt - so yummy)
Kefir Smoothies

Dinner:

Monday - Pan-fried tilapia Fish Tacos (chipotle mayo, lettuce, avacado, shredded cheese and sour cream) with chips and black bean and corn salsa

Tuesday - Crockpot Roasted Chicken with squash sauted in butter and salt and green salad

Wednesday - Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup - (carrots, celery, onions, garlic, spinach, small pasta shapes and any other veggies in the fridge that need to be used up) with homemade bread and butter.

Thursday - Grass-fed Beef Burgers with caramelized onions and a green salad.

Friday - Seafood (probably shrimp, since I have some in the freezer) ravioli (going to try my hand at making the pasta) with steamed and buttered broccoli and a green salad.

Saturday - my birthday - we are eating out.

Sunday - leftover buffet.

Check out hundreds of menus at I'm an Organizing Junkie.

Thursday -

1 comment:

Shaina said...

I love that you mark the local items!