Monday, June 22, 2009

Menu Plan Monday 6/22/09 - It's too hot to cook!


It is 5:23 am and it is already hot here. Even though the thermometer only reads 75 deg, when I walked outside a few minutes ago, the heat was like a wall that hit me when I walked out. This week temperatures are forecast to exceed 100 degrees. I do not want to heat up the house, if I can help it. We will have to use the oven and stove top for some things, but I think if I plan it right, we can still avoid heating up the whole house. I would also like to use up a lot of the frozen meals leftovers, and frozen meats that are currently in the freezer. Here is the plan:

Breakfasts:
*Cooked Oatmeal with milk, honey and butter (will try this in the crock pot, over night)
*Smoothies
*Yogurt (I usually make this overnight, which helps to keep the house cooler)

Lunch (always includes one fruit and one veggie):
*leftover pizza from the freezer (at least twice)
*lassagna (from the freezer)
*PB & honey sandwich (at least twice)
*grilled cheese sandwich

Snacks:
*Fresh Peaches (local peaches are now in season here - so yummy!!)
*granola bars (baked in the morning, before the heat kicks in)
*blueberries (blueberries are also in season here)
*strawberries
*watermelon (from the farmer's market)
*banana nut bread (baked in the morning, before the heat really kicks in)
*Cashew butter on graham crackers - so yummy!!

Dinner:
*Crock pot Italian Chicken, squash (local), salad
*Crock pot roast beef (local, grass fed beef) French Dip sandwiches on homemade bread, tomato (local) and cucumber(local) salad, peaches (local)
*BBQ Beef sandwich (local beef, left over from the french dip sandwiches, BBQ sauce and homemade buns, leftover from the previous day), green salad (homegrown/ local), watermelon (local)
*Asian Shrimp Salad (shrimp cooked in the morning, then refrigerated), breadsticks (baked in the morning), steamed broccoli (my oldest loves steamed broccoli, so we try to have it at least once a week for him)
*Shrimp Salad Sandwiches (leftover shrimp from asian salad), tomato and cucumber salad (local)
*Lassagna (from the freezer, reheated in the crock pot), green salad, sweet corn (farmer's market), tomato and cucumber salad (local/ homegrown), peaches (local)

I love the farmer's market bounty of the summer. It is so easy to have fresh, yummy, local meals in the summer. The time is coming to start preserving some of the summer seasonal fruits and veggies. Either mid week or this weekend, if we can find a large number of peaches at the market, I am hoping to crank up the preserves factory here and start canning peach preserves. I would also like to make some salsa, since tomatoes, onions and peppers are everywhere at the market. If you have a favorite salsa recipe, I'd appreciate your sharing it. I have not ever made salsa. Thanks :o)

Check out hundreds of menus and I'm An Organizing Junkie.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

I'd love to see the recipe for the Asian Shrimp Salad!

And salsa...I made this recipe last year - its the kind you can, its really,really good.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Wonderful-Salsa-9272

Kelly said...

Sounds like a yummy week! I really need to invest in a crock-pot. It gets pretty hot here in FL too and I just hate using the oven during the summer.

Anonymous said...

Lori, I don't know if you do lacto-fermented stuff, but this recipe (http://articles.urbanhomemaker.com/index.php?article=525) for salsa is amazing. It keeps really long in the fridge, though, honestly, it doesn't last that long around here cuz it's so good!

I'm doing the relish thing today. Way too many cukes from the CSA & way too many peppers from my garden.

The Book Lady Online said...

Thanks for the salsa recipes.

Laurie, I don't really have a recipe for the Asian Shrimp Salad, I just cook some shrimp and toss it with lettuce, chow mien noodles, sunflower seeds, and manderine oranges, and then add some bottled Toasted Sesame Asian Dressing.

Paula, I've not tried lacto-fermenting yet. I've read lots about it, just haven't done it yet. I'd like to try it - maybe this week. I'd also like to know more about your CSA. I think my parents would really get a lot out of a CSA. I need to talk to you about the butcher you found near your house, too. I had a farmer here in MS who was raising beef, lamb and eggs in pasture, but he is going to grad school this fall and will no longer be offering his products. We are filling the freezer, but it would be great to have a fall back for when we run out.

Kelly,

Thanks for visiting and for your comment. :o)