Sunday, June 28, 2009

Menu Plan Monday 6/29/09 - Pantry Challenge Week


This weekend, my in-laws made a surprise visit. We had such a nice time and it was fun showing them around our town for their first visit. As soon as I found out they would visit, I adjusted the menu plan for last week and got things ready for their visit. On of my favorite things to do when we have overnight guests is roast one or two whole chickens because you can do almost anything with them. As it turns out, they took us out to dinner and breakfast a few times and the rest of the meals, they provided for with groceries they bought.

There were LOTS of leftovers. Add the food we had ready for their visit, and the week is just about taken care of already :) I will need to pick up only milk (for making yogurt) and pastured butter (our Kroger carries this). We will also go to the farmer's market mid week to pick up any fresh produce we might need. We will definitely be under $20 this week, maybe lower :o)

The most fun thing about this for me is that it will barely touch our stockpile. Our refrigerator and freezer are so packed with food, that I literally could not fit anything else in them if I wanted to, so I will NOT be doing a big shopping trip this week. In fact, they bought 2 bags of spinach which I am reluctant to eat as is after that e coli outbreak a few years ago, so we are going to make space in the freezer for cooked spinach. Hopefully nothing will go to waste this week.

Here is this weeks, menu (a few things will be eaten twice). I will mark in bold all items that are locally grown.

Breakfast:
*Yogurt with maple syrup, fresh fruit
*Eggs (we bought 4 dozen from the farmer last week), ham and fresh fruit
*French toast (local eggs), ham and fruit
*Waffles with peaches and yogurt
*Smoothies (peaches and blueberries)

Lunch:
*Leftovers from dinners, fruit
*pizza from the freezer, fruit
*peanut butter sandwiches, fruit

Snacks:
*no bake peanut butter cookies (these remind me of my grandmother - I'll post the recipe later if I can)
*sliced fresh peaches
*yogurt
*watermelon
*cucumbers and carrots with dip
*Parmesan "crackers"
*banana nut bread (local eggs)
*fig cobbler (local eggs)
*granola bars
*blueberries

Dinner:
*Chicken Noodle Soup in the crock pot (broccoli, squash, carrots and spinach) with a green salad (tomatoes & cukes)
*Salmon "burgers" (local eggs) on homemade buns with caramelized onions, roasted summer squash and a green salad (tom & cukes)
*Turkey club sandwiches and a green salad (tom & cuke)
*Chicken Salad Sandwiches with a green salad (my In-Laws brought 4 bagged salads and I already had a head of romaine - we're eating lots of salad this week, lol) (tom & cuke)

What are you having this week that is locally grown?

Check out Organizing Junkie for Menu Plan Monday.

No comments: